When building the Phu Xuan Royal Palace in the early 19th century, King Gia Long during the Nguyen Dynasty chose Da Vien as a White Tiger (West) and Hen Islet as an Azure Dragon (East). The two powerful creatures were believed to guard the emperors’ throne in the former Imperial City of Hue.
Da Vien was officially named by King Tu Duc.
After King Tu Duc –owner of the Da Vien garden – died in 1883, the Nguyen Dynasty was facing a crisis. Da Vien soon became deserted and was destroyed by a storm in 1904.
In 1908, the Hue -Quang Tri railway line was built with two bridges – Bach Ho and Da Vien crossing the islet.
In 1957, a water tower and water supply plant took shape, giving the royal garden a facelift.
|Da Vien Islet seen from the northern bank of the Huong River|
|Bach Ho Bridge linking the northern bank of the Huong River to Da Vien Islet|
|Da Vien Bridge linking the southern bank of the Huong River to Da Vien Islet|
|A water tower in the centre of Da Vien Islet|
|The tower has stood the test of time for more than half a century|
|This is the only concrete road on the islet|
|Around 15 families living on the islet|
|This is a common worship place of local people|
|A living quarter of water plant’s workers|
|A stone stele erected in July 1868.|
|Da Vien Islet seen from the southern bank of the Huong River|